Thursday, March 16, 2006

I Don't Heart Computers

I was messing around with some stuff on my computer, trying to determine the best way of keeping my mother in law from snooping around in our files, and I discovered this encryption option. So, what the hey, I encrypted a folder of pictures. I could still view them and edit them after. I switched users to my wife (the account on our computer the MIL uses) and I could not view the files. Cool. Thats kinda what I was after. I logged off the computer and went to bed.

That was Tuesday night. Last night I got on the computer and attempted to view the files. Eh. Wrong. AHHH! You're kidding right, you stupid computer. Couldn't decrypt them either. Access denied. Oh, how I hate you. I'm the administrator of the computer I should be able to do whatever the frig I want.

I'm not a computer illiterate boob either. I will eventually be able to figure out how to get my files back, but I am probably going to waste hours of my valuable time. The bottomline is never make any changes to your computer, because they suck.

Update: I came across this tasty turd, "The downside is, if your administrator resets your password, you lose all access to the encrypted files because the certificate is deleted." I dont know if its true or not, but I DID reset my password, because I decided it was too long. I figured a shorter password would be ok since the MIL isn't exactly on the FBIs most wanted list for computer hacking.

Update: Screw it. It was a folder of pictures that I had just transferred from my digital camera. I can probably just download a utility to recover the pictures from the camera's memory card....

3 comments:

gagknee said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Let me just say it before anybody else does, I was stupid and its my own fault.

Beastie said...

Yeah I got burned by that when it first came out. Stupid resetting password messes it up. Sounds like typical MS.

gagknee said...

A small part of me is glad I'm not the only one to get burned by this.