Thursday, December 14, 2006

Cultural Awakenings

I shopped at Target for the first time in my life the other day. They didn't have what I was looking for and I ended up going to Walmart anyway. Of course Walmart didn't have what I wanted either.

I did buy something at each store. Walmart only had two lanes open, where Target had about ten. Other than that...eh...it's like it's 1986 again and we are debating the merits of Rich's versus Bradlees. Or Ames and Zayre.

Speaking of Ames and Zayre. In Dover/Somersworth where TJ Maxx is there used to be an Ames and way before that it was something call King's. In Dover next to Hannaford in what is now vacant space there used to an Ames but it was a Zayre before, until they were bought by Ames.

Anyway, I had a dream the other night that King's was reopening in the vacant building next to Hannaford where Ames/Zayre used to be.

Raise your hand if you remember the Siegel's in Dover.

My point. Uh, I dunno. It's early. Need more coffee.

5 comments:

Rob said...

Don't forget about K-Mart. K-Mart is old school.

Anonymous said...

If you compared the Walmart vs Target in Somersworth, you would see a world of difference between the two. Now maybe it's just because the target is brand new and the Walmart has been around the block a few times, but for now the contrast is startling.

I go to the K-Mart in rochester once in a while - it always feels sad. Kind of like the Newington Mall after they built Fox-Run. I have no idea how it is still open.

Heidi said...

i can barely remember siegels how is it that you can?

soccerkcs said...

Is Siegels the store they tore down before they built the Super Shop 'n Save and Zayres? If so, I remember it.

gagknee said...

Jeez, I forgot all about Kmart. Kmart is sad. Target is to Walmart as Walmart was to Kmart.

heidi, i dunno. i only remember shopping there a few times, we lived about a half mile from it, and i remember my friend Erik and I rode our bikes to watch it being torn down. it was like a 1970s version of a Walmart Supercenter. Except a lot dumpier.