Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Fabulous Movie Review®

3:10 to Yuma
I love a good western. The problem is that they don't make many good westerns anymore. 3:10 to Yuma is a good western.

I wished for more of the Sergio Leone style though. Sweeping panoramas, close ups, and slow build up in tense moments, but, whatever, I get it, people can't pay attention that long anymore.

Christian Bale plays the lead character and he was great, as always (ever seen The Machinist?), but I wish his character had been more of an anti-hero.

Russell Crowe, who I never like, except in A Beautiful Mind (oh, yeah, and Gladiator (although, I don't think his performance made the movie in that one)), plays the antagonist. Not much to say since I don't like him. He did alright.

There were two other actors in this movie who I recognized but couldn't quite put my finger on where I had seen them.

This guy (My Name is Earl):









And this guy(Dodgeball):










The other good thing about this movie is that there is no damsel in distress, no love interest. Oh sure, the guy is married, but she isn't in danger. He doesn't have to rescue her. Her part in the movie is minor. He was more worried that his son would consider him a coward. He did make sure she would be financially taken care of though.

This review makes no sense, really. Here, let me sum it up all quick and dirty like: Compared to most westerns made since 1977, not including Unforgiven, this movie rocks. Compared to anything made between 1964 and 1976 starring Clint Eastwood/Henry Fonda/James Coburn or directed by Sergio Leone/Sam Peckinpah then it's a pretty good movie.

Gagknee's grade: B+

No comments: