Monday, April 20, 2009

Fabulous Movie Review©

Open Range
Released: 8/15/2003
Rating: R (Restricted)
Length: 2 hrs 19 mins
Genre: Western
Starring: Patricia Benedict, Annette Bening, Abraham Benrubi, Kim Coates, Diego Diablo Del Mar
First of all, I applaud any effort at making new westerns. Open Range is good, not great. They threw in a love story, which isn’t unheard of obviously, but Kevin Costner's monologuing, something he does in every film it seems, was a little forced and nonsensical, and he’s a little oversensitive about his “past” where in an Eastwood movie Clint would have more of a 'love or leave it attitude', or just not deal with it at all. Or drink more and kill more people.

Great revenge in this one though. They did that well. Robert Duvall is in it too and his character is pretty cool. I liked it better than 3:10 to Yuma. Just a little bit.

There were a few holes in the story, the one that I immediately noticed was how did the bad guys know Costner and Duvall were waiting for them at the wagon. A couple of others but they are no big deal.

I laughed when Annette Bening's character said to Costner, "I'm not a little girl anymore". You got that right, I thought to myself, but its better to have the love interest be someone Costner's own age than some unbelievable teeny bopper fresh off the wagon or Joan Allen.

7.5 out of 10

No comments: