Saturday, October 28, 2006

Ever Seen a Naked Girl? In Person?

The very first day of work was a general orientation for new hires. I would guess there was about 40 of us in the room. Each table (about 7 or 9 people) had a group questionnaire they had to answer. One question was who has the most unusual hobby? I got the honors at my table, keeping tracking of the number of animals my cat killed the past year. Another guy at another table had a great one and is the purpose of this post.

He started out describing how he hand-paints miniature soldiers and he and some of his other like-minded friends have chess or Stratego type war games with them. Ok, that's kind of interesting I suppose. The instructor asked what time period he was interested in, Civil War, World War 2 or something else. The guy responded uh, no fantasy and science fiction. You could feel the entire room groan. The instructor surprisingly kept a straight face. The man then went into great detail about his characters and the "battles" he and his friends have enacted.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good science fiction or fantasy NOVEL, but that's where I draw the line. If you or someone you love has crossed that line, seek help. Immediately.

2 comments:

Pete said...

one of the great shocks of entering public school was the sheer number of kids who play D&D.
i felt intimidated.

gagknee said...

i thought you were a D&D master.