Thursday, October 05, 2006

More of The Experience

I forgot to mention on the flight down to Richmond at the Manchester airport I set off the metal detector twice and had to be pulled aside. No body cavities were probed, but I did have a man put his hand in my waistband. The culprit? A piece of foil in my pocket. For making electrical connections in an explosive device or keeping candy fresh. One or the other.

I was also able to narrowly (pun intended) avoid The Experience this weekend too. Driving with my wife one night last week on Haven Hill Rd in Somersworth/Rochester, which is the road that connects 108 to Salmon Falls Rd. and has a railroad bridge running over it which is notoriously narrow and low, I said to her, "I better not try to take the moving van down this road. It won't fit."

Sunday afternoon I'm driving down this road in the moving van and as I approach the bridge I think to myself, "I hope that there aren't any cars coming in the other direction, we won't both fit." Immediately following that thought was, "You idiot! That's an 11 foot bridge and you are driving a 12 foot truck! Don't you remember telling your wife just a few days ago you wouldn't be able to drive down this road. You idiot!"

One 18 point turn later and I was headed back towards 108 to head for the much safer Whitehall Rd.

6 comments:

Rob said...

Wow, that would have been a mess.

gagknee said...

yeah, no kidding. i remember a truck getting stuck under the trestle in dover once.

Big A said...

When I worked at Red's that happened several times. It seemed like somebody did it at least once a year.

gagknee said...

i always wondered why they didn't dig out the road underneath it.

Big A said...

My Dad tried to drive a camper under the footbridge behind the Masonic Temple once. Fortunately he just knocked off the cargo carrier we had up there.

YouWho said...

I lived down the street from that bridge in Dover for 9 years. It never got old though.