Sunday, October 28, 2007

Didja See the Game?

I bought one of these hats for 5 bucks at Walmart about 6 months ago. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I needed a new hat and it was cheap. I like the state of West Virginia and the colors, gold and blue, are cool.

I need to find a new hat. Something not associated with college football or any other sports team.

At least twice a week someone makes a comment about it. From "nice hat!" to "did you go there?" to simply "Mountaineer!". The dénouement occurred yesterday whilst walking on some nature trails with my family. We passed another couple, and before I could even smile and say hi to the male half of the couple, he started immediately talking about the game that day. I was cornered because my wife was lagging behind waiting for my oldest son. Luckily, I HAD watched about 5 minutes of the game so I could almost sound intelligent and not even close to the poser I am.

Guy in woods: "What a great game today, huh? 31 to nothing. Rutgers didn't even make a game of it."

Me: "31?! Man. I had to leave and it was only 7 to zip. Wish I could have seen it all!"

Guy in woods: "Yeah, Rutgers had 7 dropped passes!"

Me: "Jeez. I saw one of them. It was the rain, tough."

Guy in woods agrees emphatically.

Me agree.

Guy in woods: "It was a great win for them."

Me: "It sure was."

I've tried to get to know the school's football team, watch a game here and there, but I can't just get into it. That 5 minutes of the game that I watched yesterday was only luck, because I was amazed out how clear the rain drops were in HD. I couldn't have watched a better game because I saved myself form total embarrassment.

If I see someone in a Red Sox hat and they know nothing of the team or who won the most recent game, well, verbal abuse and probably an arrest are in the cards.

The WVU hat has got to go, in case I meet someone like me someday and go home crying.

4 comments:

Rob said...

I have been wanting a cool Honda hat. There are a couple cool Duff beer hats too.

I would let you borrow my CAT hat, but you don't have the gut to pull it off.

gagknee said...

at first i thought you said i didn't have the guts to wear a CAT hat, so i considered it a personal challenge. Then i read it again. i don't consider it a personal challenge anymore.

i loved my thor hat but the one size fits all elastic wore out. now its one size fits andre the giant.

Rob said...

You need a bulldozer gut to where a CAT hat.

gagknee said...

i'm only going to wear hats which sport logos of which i am an expert or at least very knowledgeable.

this includes:

Red Sox

Honda or anything ATV related

Even without the gut requirement I don't want the pressure of possibly having to carry on a conversation about CAT's 2008 line of bulldozers and excavators.