Friday, May 16, 2008

Tales from the Shed

New tool for the job: Framing nailer. Its a refurbished Campbell Hausfeld. Yeah, I know its not a sexy name brand like Dewalt or Porter-Cable (I really wanted a Porter-Cable. To match my finish nailer), but it was a lot cheaper, and honestly, I won't use it for more than 2 or 3 projects. It's pretty awesome using a framing nailer. Makes the work go real fast. Unfortunately, Lowe's only sells 4000 count boxes of nails. That's a lot of nails, but since this thing is so much fun to use, I've been shooting in extra nails, where maybe I wouldn't have otherwise because swinging a hammer is kind of a drag after the 100th nail.

DSC01506

Two weekends ago I poured the piers for my shed. Luckily, the rain had stopped for a few days and I only had issues with water in two of the holes. What to do what to do. I just started dumping concrete into the tubes and when the water level was high enough, I bailed it out with a cup. Seemed to work ok.

DSC01494

DSC01496

I waited a week and slapped my beams and floor frame on. I had the hardest time trying to get the floor frame square, until I decided to measure the width of the frame. Hmmm. Apparently, a 10 foot board isn't always 10 feet long. Oh sure, I know that a 2x6 is actually 1 1/2 x 5 1/2 but who knew that a 2x6x10 could actually be anywhere from 1 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 10' 3/8" to 1 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 10' 2 3/16". Not me.

This part was finished on Saturday. It was supposed to rain, but actually turned out alright. It's a little higher off the ground than I wanted. Oops. I didn't have too much choice though because of the slope.

DSC01500

DSC01502

Sunday was miserable and cold and rainy. In the high 40s. I had to keep stopping to bring all of my tools inside because of intermittent heavy downpours. Got the framing done though.

DSC01503

No comments: