Thursday, November 30, 2006

First Time at Lowe's

I've been in the local Lowe's before, when I helped Big R pick up his dryer, but I've never shopped there, until yesterday.

I needed to pick up some odds and ends. When I say odds and ends, I mean that I have no idea what I need. I have something to fix and an idea in my head of what part or parts could be used to fix it. This is one of the reasons why I hate it when hardware store guys insist on helping me. If I don't know what I need, how could you possibly help me? Plus, if you let me wander around undisturbed, I'll probably end up buying something I hadn't even planned on.

Anyway, whenever I had one of these little projects to do, I avoided Home Depot like pictures of Lindsay Lowhore's crotch on the Interweb. They just don't stock all the little doodads that you might need only once in your life, like a turnbuckle, or things that you probably won't ever need in your life, such as a Woodruff key. Those are the kinds of items you could only get at a small hardware store. Even if Home Depot did have what I needed, there was always a 50 percent chance they didn't have it in stock. Or it was on a top shelf in a box and I couldn't find an associate to help me. And the one time I climbed up the shelving unit to help myself I got caught.

I didn't go to Lowe's because I thought it was going to be any better than HD. I figured it was probably the same, just all blue. Just like Target is red to Walmart's blue. I went because it's about a 1/4 mile closer to my house than Home Depot which even that is only a half mile away. A funny thing happened though. Lowe's, to my amazement, had all of those little doodads, and every kind of nut and bolt I could think of. Even metric, which I vaguely remember the orange home improvement center not having. A half hour was spent (wasted?) just browsing through the hardware aisle.

So, what did I end up getting? A 3/4 inch galvanized clevis hanger, a 4 inch hook and eye latch, and a 4 inch eyebolt.

4 comments:

Rob said...

Lowe's still cuts and sells glass. Home Depot stopped selling it for liability issues.

Big A said...

I can't wait until they build the Lowe's in Rochester.

My number one complaint (out of a pretty long list) with Home Depot is the hardware aisle. Instead of being loose, All the Hardware is in little bags now - so when you are looking for a nut to fit the bolt you brought with you, you have to rip holes in the bags to test it out. What happened to bins of loose hardware? And of course, the cost has gone way up. A bag with two screws that would cost you 10 cents ea. at the hardware store will probably be $.89 or $1.19 at Home Depot.

skape7 said...

We have a place like that called Bunnings. It's an amazing and entralling place with miles of hardware and everything else you could possibly think of to entice you to spend hours wandering the aisles in search of your very own home improvement fix. I remember when I flew over in a plane, coming back from my grandad's funeral up north - I was gazing out the window, trying to find something I recognized to place exactly what part of the city we were over and then I saw the roof of Bunnings. It's THAT huge.
Also, it's nice to see that the Kip Journal still lives, Half and Half is still number one and your cat is continuing it's rampage on the local wildlife.

gagknee said...

Lowes is like a big hardware store.

The cat hasn't killed anything since we moved unfortunately.