Thursday, January 04, 2007

I Hate Tattletales

If you've got a question/comment/concern with the piece of software I just released, just come tell me about it. There's no need to involve the business analyst or the department manager. Jeez.

The same tattletaler is one who also CCs everybody and their grandmother's boyfriend whenever she feels the need to inform people of some "issue". By everybody I mean, the business analyst, me, the department manager, the department manager's manager which is a VP, and for good measure, the VP's administrative assistant.

I know that if I was a VP, which I don't envision ever happening, and I got some stupid email from a team leader in a department that I manage of which there are 10, I would be pretty annoyed. Assuming of course, that I actually read my email, which I probably don't, because my administrative assistant does it for me. In which case, she got two copies of the email, and now she is probably pissed, and the best thing you can do to short circuit your own career is to piss off the administrative assistants.

4 comments:

dbageek said...

the lost art of email etiquette! those people are just attention deprived.

Big A said...

When my company was bought out, it became quickly apparent that was how people operate in our "parent" company. Everybody copies your boss, your boss' boss, and their boss as a minimum for even the simplest question. And if you reply simply to them, they will still forward your answer to all of the others.

gagknee said...

email etiquette? whats that?

ooo, thats even more annoying.

Big A said...

Oh yeah, and if you decide to be a normal person and just email THEM without copying the whole world on it - then you probably won't get a response.