Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Work, work, work

I hate when you accept a position at a company and a few months into the job, they reveal secret new duties to you. Always prefaced with the old, "you wouldn't mind..." Yeeeeeaaaahhh, you really feel empowered (corporate buzzword) to say, "Yes, I do mind," don't you?

Ugh.

And to top it off, all this time I was under the impression that I could get a new job within the company after 12 months, but nooo, salaried employees must wait 18 months.

Now I have two more questions to add to the list of questions I ask at interviews when they ask me if I have any questions.

4 comments:

pilgrimchick said...

Well, at least the acquisition of "more questions" is progress in some way--although not the kind of progress you want. Yes, the hidden duties--gotta love that. It's no wonder anyone working in business likes the movie "Office Space."

gagknee said...

hmm. it's time to watch office space again. it's been 5 years since i was in a genu-wine big corporation. it'll be fun to find ways to compare office space characters to work characters.

Big A said...

I don't know if the "How fast can I transfer out of your department?" question is one that you want to be asking in an interview. It's kind of like telling the interviewer "I'll take your money for a while if I have to, but I'd much rather do something else"

gagknee said...

haha. good point, arik.