Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ramp to Perdition

A neighbor of mine tore down his deck and offered me whatever wood I wanted. Normally, I am the type to turn down such offers, because I hate hate HATE when people try to unload their trash on me. I scratched my head for a minute thinking and suddenly a little utility light bulb turned on above my head.

The ramp! Perfect.

I grabbed two 12 foot 2x10s and 6 pieces of decking and set to buildin' a ramp. The wood is old and a little beat up, but its not bad. Plus, it saved me about $50.

Step 1

Attach some small pieces of wood to the shed. These provide support for the ramp's joists.



Step 2

Attach ramps.

Cutting the angles for the ramps was easy using the same framing square technique I used for the roof rafters. I thought for sure I would screw it up. Not this time, evil shed gods, not this time.



Step 3

Attach the decking.

These boards were really weathered, but the flip side was (almost) brand new. Not bad for free.



I wonder if he has wood I could use for the stairs...

Postscript: In between steps 2 and 3 I added support for the bottom of the ramp and blocking in between the ramps. Somehow I forgot to take a picture.

Also, I stepped on a board with a nail in it. That hurt. It's been a while since I had a tetanus shot. The nail didn't go in very deep though. But then one of my wisdom teeth started to hurt which made my jaw really hurt. It's better now, so I guess I wasn't coming down with lockjaw. Too bad. I was hoping to call in sick. For a while.

4 comments:

cthaviland said...

Looks, good, maybe you could make a sculpture out of your neighbor's lawn mowers.....

gagknee said...

i could make a fence out of them buy burying them halfway into the ground like this guy did.

cthaviland said...

that's great, we're so boring, we only planted to trees to give us privacy....

gagknee said...

i'm too impatient to wait for the lilacs i planted. next spring i'm going to find some plant steroids.