Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fabulous Movie Reviews®

Saw IV
Seriously now, the dude is dead. How could he possibly set up these elaborate puzzles? Unless, it takes place like the day after he and his sidekick died in the last movie.

Ok, so, this movie isn't bad as far as horror movies go. The problem is its the same as Saw I, Saw II (not so much with this one since it sucked), and Saw III.

If there's a Saw V, I ain't gonna see it. I'm bored with this quadology, and I'm not a big horror movie fan anyway. The only reason I watched these in the first place is because some bum down at the train station told me too.

5.5 out of 10.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
This stars the inimitable Brad Pitt and the only Affleck who shouldn't be eating food from the dumpster behind the China Palace, Casey Affleck.

I love Westerns. One of these days I am going to post reviews on all the Westerns I own, just so people will know how much I love Westerns. In fact, three websites I discovered this week are The Spaghetti Western Database, Son of Django's Spaghetti Western Reviews, and Fistful of Pasta, and I am hooked on them.

I expect a lot when I watch a Western and this movie, like 3:10 to Yuma, left me wanting more.

What made Jesse James a legend? That never comes through in this film. He lacked charisma. A bigger than life persona. You know, the stuff legends are made of.

There wasn't a palpable sense of the growing tension between James and Ford during the movie. It was hinted at and you knew it existed, but you were left chewing on a piece of steak with a balloon on your tongue. It was a long enough movie that they could have worked on the character development more.

The other part that I didn't like was the flashback scenes had a weird oversaturated/degaussian blur effect. It was strange.

Don't get me wrong. I liked the movie, but I have to judge it according to the other Westerns that I love.

7 out of 10.

No comments: