Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Books

Anthem by Ayn Rand
Too short. Good, but seriously, it's a short story.








Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Man. I felt like I've been reading this book all summer, but in reality its only been about a month. Eleven hundred pages. I was completely ignorant of what it was about before I started and I didn't know what to expect. It's great though. Everybody should read it.

There was an episode of the Simpsons, A Streetcar Named Marge, which featured the Ayn Rand School for Tots. I never got that joke, and I was hoping that reading this book would unlock the secret for me, but sadly, it didn't. If anybody could explain it to me, then I will be eternally in your debt. Actually, no, I won't be, but I will say thanks.

I see Atlas Shrugged in everything now. Most recently in Media magnate among the backers of Michael Moore's anti-capitalism screed. I like this quote:

Obviously, there is a little something ironic about Moore's cinematic screed against capitalism being backed in part by one of the country's richest and most avowed capitalists. Then again, Moore is nothing if not a paradox.

Um, no he's not. He's a hypocrite.

3 comments:

soccerkcs said...

I've not read Atlas Shrugged, but Anthem has always been one of my favorite books because it so clearly espouses the dangers of the liberal thought!

It's interesting, I actually picked up Anthem yesterday and was looking at it for awhile in my study.

gagknee said...

I feel like I got gypped with anthem because you have this book in your hand that feels about 200 pages, but then you realize that half of it is devoted to her original manuscript. I don't know if your copy is like that, but mine is.

soccerkcs said...

I have the exact same copy and I felt that way as well. Like I care about her manuscript!