Thursday, September 14, 2006

Quick and Dirty Movie Reviews

Donnie Darko - What the?? Who the?? How the?? 2 stars out of 5.








The Twilight Samurai - If a Japanese movie about life as a mid 19th century widower petty samurai complete with subtitles with little to no sword fighting action is your idea of a good time then this movie is for you. I was expecting a LOT of swordplay. I was severely disappointed. But it was free from the library. A lot of things can be excused if they are free. Dinner at Red Lobster. A couch. A haircut. It was a pretty good movie with a well written story, and it wasn't Donnie Darko. That alone gets it some extra points. 2.79 stars out of 5.

City of God - Quite simply, one of the best movies I have ever seen. Also subtitled, which was annoying only because it distracted me from the excellent cinematography, it is set in the slums of Rio De Janeiro and follows the life of two boys, one good and one bad. This movie was free but not from the library, I had a credit at the video store, so there is no .25 added to its score. This 4.8 stars out of 5 is all natural. Pure West.



Oops. I forgot one.

Walk the Line - It was interesting but it didn't really portray just how cool Johnny Cash was. Maybe he wasn't as cool as I think. Too bad he was a philanderer and a junkie, but isn't everyone in show biz? Anyway, Wah-keen Fee-nicks did a fine job and so did the young lady cuter than a baby chimp wearing a diaper, Reese Witherspoon. 3.1 stars out of 5.



3 comments:

Big A said...

you didn't like Donnie Darko? I have had it sitting on my desk for two months. A friend lent it to me and swore that it was great. I hadn't gotten around to it yet - you're review is not exactly lighting a fire under my butt.

mike gagne said...

donnie darko is considered one of the best indie films of all-time.

with an 8.3 rating and 101 ranking at imdb.com.

but yeah, i rented it at Bible college because i also heard it was great and turned it off after 20 minutes.

mostly because of the demonic rabbit.

Anonymous said...

I do find the Tagline for the movie to be rather appropriate though..... anyone got a map?