Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Results of the Written Test

The written test for this job that I'm hoping to get went well. I used the entire two hour period I was allotted. Although I am ashamed to admit that I used half of the time trying to figure out two riddles that they stuck at the end of the test.

One of the riddles I was able to get, the other I couldn't. The answer felt so close, but I couldn't quite get my mind to grasp it. Kinda like feeling around the back of your computer in the dark looking for a USB port.

I'd share what the riddles were but the few people that I did share them with figured them out faster than I answered the first question, "What is ASP.NET?", so I choose not to embarrass myself anymore.

I've never been good at riddles.

Most of the questions I aced, a few I fudged because I couldn't remember the specific method that I would use (that's what Google is for), so I made up something that sounded good, and I only flat out missed three of them. A web service question, but I had already told them I didn't have much experience. Same for the XML question. The third question, the difference between OLAP and OLTP, I still don't know even after Googling it when I got home.

7 comments:

dbageek said...

dude, that's my world. oltp is a transactional database (lots of updates and inserts) normalized (lots of joins) to prevent duplicate values and fields. olap is a data warehouse (no updates/static data) denormalized (fewer joins) for efficient reporting.

gagknee said...

ahh, ok. i get it.

would a company use both?

dbageek said...

yeah definitely ... this would prevent the process intensive reporting from affecting the performance of a production database

gagknee said...

ah. right. makes perfect sense.

dbageek said...

sorry i didn't get a chance to hook up with you guys last week ... was much busier than i anticipated. i hope to be down there soon, though. it would be fun to catch up!

gagknee said...

wait, whoa. you were in richmond?

dbageek said...

no, fairfax ... guess i forgot to tell you. i had emailed rob and asked if you guys wanted to do dinner. i was going to drive down to Richmond ... he said it was only like an hour.