Wednesday, November 07, 2007

So, Tell Me About Yourself

The time leading up to an interview always causes me shortness of breath and heart palpitations and the time afterwards is sweet, sweet relief.

I did well enough that they called me later in the day and asked me to come back Thursday for a written test.

Written test? Not to sound cocky, but it's always been the oral presentation that I've screwed up. The written part should be cake.

If ever a statement was going to make me eat my words, its that one.

Also, I think this was the first interview I have ever been to where I wasn't asked to name three of my best qualities. Man, do I hate that question. I was prepared to say, "Patient. Really patient. Super patient." Or something like that, just to get a laugh. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't try to "get laughs" during an interview. Something to think about anyway.

Oh yeah, and at my current job I had a conference call with a bunch of holier than thou IT people. Their leader sounded like Brendan Fraser. All I could think about was how underrated Blast from the Past was.

4 comments:

Beastie said...

Its always been the jobs that did not ask me the tough technical questions that I was the most worried about them when they showed interest. If you have no clue and are hiring me that probably means things are really bad cause where is the guy that knew the stuff to set it up.

I've had to do the verbal questions and then the paper test, I think I prefer the verbal ones.

gagknee said...

exactly. i couldn't agree more. except about the verbal questions.

pilgrimchick said...

Oh, geez, I COMPLETELY agree with the whole "nervous as hell" followed by "euphoric ease" experience that is interviewing. It makes me feel like my second job is interviewing right now, actually, and no, I have not been so fortunate as to get the "what are your three best qualities?" question, but I am sure that is coming.

skape7 said...

That reminds me of an ad on tv here where a panel are interviewing for the perfect person to fill the position in a desinger fashion store and they ask a series of people what they're biggest weakness is. Everybody does the usual stuff - I don't have one, I run late, I'm a perfectionist etc etc until one chick says "Shoes". Obviously she gets the job.