Saturday, January 05, 2008

Never Assume Part 2

A while back, I discovered that the light switch in my son's room was not on the same circuit as the outlets.

Last week I was replacing 2 light switches in the kitchen. They were in the same box, and again I assumed that they were on the same circuit. Nope. No harm was done this time either.

But, the weirdest thing is that there are two outlets in the kitchen that I was going to replace at the same time. One of those outlets was on the same circuit as one of those light switches. The other outlet wasn't on either circuit. I flipped a few other breakers, including the breaker for the dishwasher, and I couldn't find the right one. I gave up because it was time for dinner, but I'll get back to that one.

So, my kitchen has 5 circuits feeding it. One, for the stove. One for the dishwasher. One for the majority of the outlets and two overhead lights. That same circuit also feeds the upstairs bathroom and the master bedroom (Yes, we trip that breaker on occasion, when the microwave is running). One, for one outlet and one switch. And one, that controls, from what I can tell, one outlet.

My breaker panel doesn't have a main shut off either. Its a main lug panel. I assume the shut off is in the locked box on my electric meter. That's a pain.

No comments: