Friday, August 14, 2009

Fabulous Movie Review©

I Am David
Released: 2004
Rating: PG (Parental Guidance Suggested)
Length: 1 hr 30 mins
Genre: Drama, Family
Starring: Roberto Attias, Elisabetta Bartolomei, Maria Bonnevie, Viola Carinci, James Caviezel
Primary Contributor: Tibber, Ben
I Am David mysteriously appeared in my Netflix queue one day. Since I had never heard of it I read the summary and was surprised to find out that it was based on a book that I had read (and loved) in the 6th grade called North to Freedom.

I remember the book well because I didn't want to read it, but it ended up being one of my favorites. I had read pretty much every book we had in our classroom, but was avoiding North to Freedom. It was a hard cover book with no jacket therefore the only clue to what the book was about was its titled, which to me meant it was probably about an American slave who escapes to one of the northern states. A reasonable assumption. That topic was pretty much all we ever studied in regards to U.S. History, so I was tired of it. Anyway, I eventually read the book and liked it.

The movie is similarly geared towards families or middle school aged kids. The story is simply told and does not contain all the gratuitous sex and violence and fart jokes you might normally find. Some might find it too tame or boring.
7.5 out of 10 (Very good)

No comments: