Monday, April 03, 2006

Four Wheelers on the Brain

My first 4 wheeler. (Ignore the pile of junk and the unpainted shed. The junk has been removed and the shed painted.) A 1987 Honda 250X, purchased in 1997 for the grand sum of $1400. I sold it a year and a half ago for $1000. I have A LOT of happy memories on this machine.




  • Riding double with my wife on the trails behind Wal-mart and up the backside of Garrison Hill (where the sledding/snowboard park is now).

  • Riding from my house on Lily Pond in Somersworth to the sand pit off Rte 11 in Farmington with Rob and Rich. We rode right through downtown Rotchester on the way home.

  • Riding back and forth between my parents house on Stackpole Road and my house on Lily Pond.

  • The sand pit in Barrington with Rob 2.

  • Going over a cliff in a sand pit in Sanford, ripping my arms to shreds on pricker bushes on the way down and having the machine land on my helmeted head.

  • Several trips to West Virginia, one where mine was the only machine not to have any mechanical problems (very unusual). The ATV gods were smiling on me during that trip.

  • The trip to Virginia where Rob and I camped and almost froze to death and the camshaft bearing let go. I still made it back to the trailhead though.

  • The first time I took my wife out on her new four wheeler (I'm gonna get you another one!)

  • 3 year old Tommy almost going over the bars when we were riding the powerlines in Northwood and I hit a rock submerged under the water.

  • The trip to Pisgah State Park and Hopkinton/Everett Reservoir where the stupid thing leaked gas the whole weekend (sorry, environment).

  • Riding from Rob's grandparents house on Rte 9 in North Berwick to the Gullies in Sanford in a cold, cold, cold rain. Did I mention it was COLD? I thought we were going to die. Truly, I did.

I have a new machine (its 2 years old now) but the 250X lives on I am sure. Nothing can kill a Honda. Not even me.

4 comments:

Rob said...

Me thinks a disproportionate number of your near death experiences involve moi. Maybe I am just being hyper-sensitive.

gagknee said...

Its just the sheer quantity of riding we've done together, stuff is bound to happen.

skape7 said...

My mower is a Honda.

gagknee said...

I can tell you are a very intelligent young lady.