Wednesday, April 19, 2006

You Wouldn't Mind...

Lurleen knocked on our door last night, my wife waved her to come in, but Lurleen waved my wife to come out. We were in the middle of dinner, which Lurleen could clearly see as my entire family was seated at the table, but she didn't care. Lurleen cares only for Lurleen.

When my wife opened the door Lurleen asked her to come out, which my wife graciously did. Why the secrecy? I figured there was a death in the family or her trailer caught on fire or maybe she was out of cigarettes and wanted to know if we smoked Basic Menthol Ultra Light 100s.

Nah, none of the above. Apparently, she is no longer going to be babysitting for these two kids that she, um, babysits. I wouldn't describe it as babysitting however, for I've seen Lurleen in action. It mostly involves sitting on her fat ace and yelling. So Lurleen needs a job to pay for baby beauty pageants and Lurleen came over to ask my wife if she would babysit Lurleen's daughter at 5:30 in the morning until whenever the boyfriend wakes up and pick Lurleen up at work at the McDonald's in Lee at 1 in the afternoon five days a week.

Ahh, Lurleen. You're such a peach.

First my wife told her that since she quit Walmart she is also looking for a job. To which Lurleen replied excitedly, "Do YOU need a sitter?". Sorry, Lurleen, the only person who is allowed to verbally abuse my children is me (I kid, I don't verbally abuse my children). My wife then told her she was going to discuss it with Andy (that's me) and let her know later.

My first response when my wife came back in? They have three cars, why don't they fix the one that is broken or register the brand new one sitting in the garage?

Why are the upstanding members of society expected to pick up the slack of the lazy members? Or why do the lazy ones automatically assume everyone around them is there to serve them?

Whatever. There's a difference between helping someone out when they are truly in need and when they are just being a drain on the resources (mental, emotional, physical and financial) of others. I'm not even sure if that last sentence makes sense. I'm on a rant.

My answer is simply, no. I repeatedly offered to my wife to tell this to Lurleen myself. She declined each time. Probably afraid that I wouldn't be tactful.

Later that evening, my wife did ask what I would say and I answered (paraphrased I can't remember my exact words), "No, I can't. I have three kids of my own to take care of, one of whom needs to picked up at school at 3 which is a half hour drive away. I also have to watch my nephew a couple of days a week after school. Not to mention our house is for sale and we have to keep it pretty clean at all times in case of a showing. It would cause a lot of stress to be gone driving around my entire afternoon and taking care of an extra baby all morning. The extra stress would put a strain on my own kids and my marriage and I don't want to be put in that kind of position. And why don't you guys fix or register the cars that you have you lazy smelly person."

Ok, the last sentence was a joke. Anyway, that's what I would say.

I'm probably being a little overdramatic. Basically, it just boils down to we have enough to do taking care of our own family and our own lives. Its one thing to give someone a ride to Hannaford to buy some salisbury steaks, but its entirely different to get locked in to giving somebody a ride to McDonald's 20 minutes away five days a week.

2 comments:

Big A said...

Do you have a plan for dealing with Lurleen when you are doing a showing? I would recommend taking her out to dinner or something. If I was looking at a house and there was a Lurleen hanging around anywhere, I would just keep on looking.

gagknee said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man! I never even thought of that! Thanks!