Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Strategy or Stupidity

So, I decided to change the oil in my truck yesterday. Yes, I am the last person in America who still changes his own oil. This is the last time though. It's no longer cost effective. You can get your oil and filter changed for 18 bucks. Five quarts of oil and a filter from Walmart (assuming you get a good filter and quality oil and not the SuperTech crap) will cost you $15.

First I had to go to Autozone and get spark plug wires. The oil and filter however were purchased at Walmart. Autozone sells oil in 4 quart containers. Walmart sells oil in 5 quart containers. Why does Autozone sell oil in 4 quart containers? I have no idea. Every car I have ever owned needs 5 quarts. So if I bought the 4 quart container from AZ I would also have to buy an additional 1 quart container. That is stupid. I suspect it's some sort of evil corporate policy. They charge the same for a 4 quart jug as Walmart charges for the 5 quart but then they get you for that extra $1.75 for the fifth quart.

I hate Walmart more than Ziggy but in this one instance they win.

Here's some fun trivia for you. I once got a job at an Autozone in Xenia, OH. I never actually worked though. Quit on my first day and went back home to New Hampshire. Ohio sucks.

4 comments:

Brian said...

I boycott Walmart but not for political reasons, I just hate going there.

Target can't open soon enough.

Big A said...

according to the guy at Prompto, my car only takes 3.5 quarts.

gagknee said...

weird. did they change your filter?

the saturn we had only took 4 quarts, but everything else was 5.

Big A said...

yeah, they changed the filter. Must be the precision Japanese engineering that requires less oil.

It DOES explain why my car burned up all the oil after only 11,000 miles. :)