Monday, August 21, 2006

Fabulous Movie Review

About Schmidt
Library pickings are getting slim. I have avoided this movie for years, although I always knew at some point me and Schmidt would meet.

This movie is like Fight Club except its geared towards older and more sensible people, plus there's no fighting, except when Schmidt slaps his best friend around for sleeping with his wife during the Carter administration.

Dealing with issues that men of all ages face, not just those in an advanced age, I'm not really sure how to describe About Schmidt. It's not a comedy, but it does have funny parts, like when he tells us that his wife forces him to pee sitting down. Also, his description of "this old woman in my bed" is hilarious.

Quirkiness would be another attribute of this film, except that if you are going to be quirky you have to go all out into Wes Anderson territory to really make it work. Partial quirkiness, like partial nudity, is just a tease and a crime.

It ain't a drama either, that's for sure. It must be a Quamedy. That's it.

I watched this movie during the rain delay and in between innings of last nights Sux game. When the movie was over, my first reaction was "About Time". Haha. Get it? But thinking back on it now, having divorced myself from the train wreck and emotional abuse that is the 2006 Boston Red Sox, I realize that it wasn't half bad. Some of those characters were really interesting and weird. Still, I wish they had descended into pure unadulterated quirkiness and not just flirted with Quirky's ugly sister.

Many thanks go out to my brother for warning me about the Kathy Bates nude scene which I was able to skip over without causing permanent retinal damage.

Um, gee, I've rambled on quite a bit about a movie I hated at 1 am last night. 3 stars out of 5.

Rating was changed on 8/31/2006 from 3.75 to 2.75 (plus .25 for being free from the library) because on further comparison to other movies with a similar rating it just didn't seem to cut the cheese, I mean mustard.

7 comments:

Big A said...

awful, awful, awful movie. Too Sad to be funny, but not quite sad enough to be moving. Not enough Drama to BE a drama, but too much drama to be anything else. And of course, WAY too much Naked Kathy Bates.

gagknee said...

yeah, i was probably a little more generous in my "review" than i should have been.

Big A said...

yeah, I am having a hard time understanding your scale. for me, a 3.75 out of 5 would be for a movie that I kind of liked - but that doesn't sound like the case.

gagknee said...

i did kinda like it. that guy with the pony tail was funny, that earned it an extra .25. then theres the extra .25 for being a freebee from the library. and because i skipped over the kathy bates scene it didn't lose .50.

so, to summarize, it was a 2.75 movie that was able to redeem itself a whole point! we've made history here, people.

Big A said...

wow. That may be the most ridiculous rating system of all time.

gagknee said...

sure, it can't contend with the D'OH and WOOHOO scale.

Big A said...

at least mine is easy to understand.