Thursday, August 31, 2006

Fabulous Movie Review


The Matador
Have you ever known someone who was a little odd in a weird sort of way, but wasn't really too bad of a person, and they just seemed to latch on to you and considered you their best friend even though you went out your way to avoid them and maybe were even a little mean to them at times? Yeah? I'm glad you finally admitted it. All these years and I just wanted you to like me. Well, it's too late now. I'm moving on and you are just outta luck, pal.

Remember the "jackass" guy from Happy Gilmore? He's kinda like that and so is Pierce Brosnan in this movie. Except Brosnan also happens to be a hit man or a "facilitator of fatalities". Greg Kinnear is the guy that Pierce Brosnan's character, Julian Noble, befriends in a bar in Mexico. Remember Kinnear from Talk Soup? See, your dreams can come true in Hollywood. As long as you are willing to sell your soul.

This is a really good movie. It's funny, but I wish they had gone a little more overboard with Brosnan's character. Made him a little bit sleazier. I suppose there is a reason for that though. The creators of the movie wanted us to be able to feel sorry for him. If he had been any worse of a human, then I don't think that would have been possible. Brosnan is excellent as the anti-Bond. When this movie hits the $7.50 rack at Walmart, I will probably buy it.

Now, I am going to do something unprecedented. To me, this movie is a B+ or about 3.75 on my scale if my 3rd grade math skills are correct. This puts me in an unfortunate position, because I recently gave About Schmidt, a movie I did not enjoy as much as this one, would not watch again, and certainly never buy, that same exact rating. I am taking away About Schmidt's rating. The 3.75 becomes a 2.75 + .25 for being free from the library, for a 3. This movie, The Matador, gets 3.8 stars out of 5.

No comments: