Monday, July 13, 2009

Weekend Update

So, I didn't buy the Regal. Let me explain why. The lady wasn't home but she said I could go look at it, which I thought was great. There's nothing like poking around in someone else's car when they are breathing down your neck.

Anyway, I got out of my car and I could immediately tell that the Regal did not have the original paint job. It was shiny, but "orange peeled" in a lot of places. A crappy Maaco job most likely. I opened one of the doors to see what the original color was and it was light blue. Exactly like the car to your right. This was almost a deal breaker to me. I can live with factory paint in poor shape, and not feel any urgency to get it painted, but looking at 2nd rate 2nd paint will make me anxious thinking about getting it repainted. I don't want that. At the very least, if you are going to invest in a crappy paint job, then PAINT IT THE SAME COLOR. I could imagine a little bit of me dying every time I opened the door and saw the light blue pillars.

You might think I'm insane for worrying about paint so much. That's fine. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I know that there are people out there just like me who if they were reading this blog would be nodding their heads in agreement.

On to the engine, I decided that crappy paint aside if I could turn the engine over by hand, meaning its not seized, then I would make an offer on it. No dice. It wouldn't budge. I'm pretty confident I could have gotten it running, but what if I couldn't? The plan was to eventually drop in a small block Chevy, but not immediately, and I don't want something with crappy paint and no engine sitting in my driveway. The Joneses are white trash and I don't want to keep up with them.

No comments: