Thursday, May 18, 2006

Fabulous Movie Review

Ok. Um. Where to begin. If your idea of a good movie is one of Steven Seagal's recent "straight to DVD" pieces of crap*, then you may want to skip this one.

The main character, David Spritz, played by Nicholas Cage, hates who he is, doesn't get any respect and is really quite pathetic. The kind of character Cage plays the best. He spends most of the movie agonizing over how lame being a weather man is, trying to connect on some level with his kids, and pining over his ex wife.

This movie, while not technically a comedy (ok, maybe it is), also made me laugh out loud many times. From the camel toe jokes to Spritz getting pelted with fast food by passing motorists to many good quotes which I will not repeat here.

I'm sure The Weather Man has a deeper "meaning" than what I got out of it. Frankly, I don't care about analyzing the "meaning" of a movie though. Unless it involves Clint, a gun, and a cigar, of course.

In the end, Spritz, after a deep conversation with his dad where dad says, "In this life, you have to chuck some things", accepts the fact that he is a weather man. Which I think is symbolic for another man is sleeping with your wife and living with your family. Or maybe not. The final line in the movie where he comes to this realization is pretty good too.

One of the best parts about The Weather Man is that I beat my wife twice in Battleship. Twice.

All in all, a pretty funny movie which earns 2.834 stars out of 5.

*I probably shouldn't call anything that I haven't actually seen a piece of crap, but I feel pretty safe in this instance using my distinctly human ablities of reason and logic to arrive at this conclusion.

5 comments:

Rob said...

Dude, she just let you win... you know how you get whenever you lose to a girl... or Big A.

gagknee said...

ohhh. you're right. she felt bad for beating me so bad at scrabble.

Big A said...

nobody should feel bad about losing to me - unless its in a footrace. I am pretty much great at everything.

I'm not sure I want to waste $3 on a movie that was so riveting you had time to play battleship.

gagknee said...

we have netflix, so you don't have to actually hand over any cash for a movie. if you get a movie you hate by accident, then you can just make it up in volume. that may not make sense. it does in my head.

Big A said...

That sounds perfectly reasonable - I actually use the Hollywood Video unlimited Rentals for $14.95 a month system myself, so the $3 comment doesn't really apply now that I think about it - but I'm still confused on what you really thought of the movie. You SAY it was good, but you also played battleship during it, so how good could it really be?

Let me put it another way - I'm not sure I want to spend a couple of hours watching a movie that was so riveting you had time to play battleship when I could be watching Season 3 of 24 instead.