Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Just a Recommendation

Yesterday, I had a block of sharp cheddar cheese that I was going to combine with slices of pepperoni and Triscuits to make a delicious snack. A slight problem with my plan occurred when I noticed the block of cheese was "best used by Oct 11 2005".

Hmmmm.

The package was then opened and sniffed but it is sharp cheddar and its supposed to smell a little funky. A slight oily sheen on the cheese was the only clue that something might be wrong with it but other than that it appeared fine. I decided to go for it.

Half the block was eaten, and I am still alive obviously, although I wish there weren't so many bugs crawling on my skin.

3 comments:

Big A said...

As far as I'm concerned, the older cheddar cheese gets, the better it tastes.

Have you ever tried the Cabot "old school" stuff? mmmmm....

YouWho said...

Yeah, I think with cheese, you can pretty much not worry about it. Just cut off the parts that are growing mold or hard.

gagknee said...

hmm. cabot old school stuff? not sure. i've had the Calefs super extra aged sharp ultra mega cheddar though.

Speaking of cutting off the mold and hard parts, i think they do that at Calef's.