Sunday, May 28, 2006

Mid Weekend Roundup

When was the last time we had a Memorial Day weekend with weather this nice? If you said last year, you may be right, but I'm pretty sure you would be dead wrong.

Today we awoke to find that we had no water. No water means no coffee, although I contemplated using Aquafina FlavorSplash but my brain was kind enough to remind me how it tasted the last time I tried that. No water also means no showers, no laundry and no washing the table after the kids smeared peanut butter and jelly into it.

I spent the morning planting some flowers and putting some mulch down. No water also means not being able to wash your hands when they are covered in dirt. The skin of my hands felt like it was two sizes too small and my fingers could have split like hot dogs on the grill. Sierra Mist does do a surprisingly good job at getting the dirt off. It dries kind of sticky though.

No water also means not being able to flush the toilet. I took the opportunity to fix the toilet in our half bath. The flush and fill valves needed replacing. It went pretty smoothly but of course I couldn't test my work because we had no water. Later on around 6 the water finally came back on. Around 6:30 my man's intuition kicked in and reminded me of the Plumbing Golden Rule (There are always leaks. Always.) So I went to check the toilet. Yep. Water all over the floor. The flush valve gasket hadn't sealed well and there was a steady leak. Hand-tighten my ace! I got the channel locks and tightened that nut up until the leak stopped.

Well, it's late and its time for a much needed shower. Seems kind of silly now since I will be taking another one again in 10 hours, but I'd better not leave an imprint of myself on the sheets.

4 comments:

skape7 said...

"Man's Intuition" - I like it!

Also, I see your cat has killed Chip AND Dale. Alvin and his peeps better start watching their backs.

gagknee said...

Hehe, its like womans intuition, but slower acting.

Holy CRAP! did you read my mind? that was/is my next post. i downloaded a picture of chip and dale last night to use but it was getting to late to finish.

skape7 said...

And there you have it...WOMEN'S INTUITION. Ha.

gagknee said...

hahaha. right!