Monday, March 13, 2006

So How Did You Spend Your Sunday Afternoon?

Whyy dismantling the front suspension of a Dodge Dakota, of course.

All in all, while it was a time consuming project, it went well. All the tools I needed, big wrenches, little wrenches, 21mm and 22mm sockets, even the the 32mm socket, and allen wrenches, were right at hand. Only one busted
knuckle. No stuck nuts.

I had a little trouble with the ball joint press though. It started when I read the instructions...The instructions, in a word, sucked. Its like they were written in Chinese, translated to Spanish and then translated to English. I did damage the press a little trying to follow the instructions. I don't think the boys at AutoZone will notice though. I hope they just do the perfunctory "open the box, check that everything is there, close the box" inspection. If not I'll have to put on my best "thats the way it was when I got it" routine. The thing still works though. I just ignored the instructions and used my God given mechanical instincts. I had that ball joint out and the new one installed in a half hour.

This is great, right? It went so well I should be happy. NO way. This just means that the next job I have to do on a vehicle is going to be an absolute tool throwing, kids cover your ears nightmare. Thats just the way it is.

I am going to be sore tomorrow too. I can already feel it. Spend 8 hours on your knees in a driveway in a drizzle lifting and pulling and pushing heavy objects and turning many big nuts (heehee) and your body is going to make you pay.

Ah well. This project cost less than a hundred bucks. I haven't the foggiest idea what a mechanic would charge, but I bet its a bit (ha but bet bit) more than that.

5 comments:

mike gagne said...

stuff like this will never make sense to me.

gagknee said...

yeah. sometimes i wish it didn't make sense to me either.

Big A said...

since you asked, I spent my sunday afternoon at the Somersworth Walmart. Your wife checked me out. She was grouchy.

Rob said...

I spent Sunday afternoon working on remodeling a bathroom. One of the many things I must finish before our trip.

Big A said...

ah, don't worry about it. The baby won't be using it for at least a couple of years.