Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Gently Aged in an Oak Barrel

Some people say my hats are filthy. I say that they are gently aged and have obtained a wonderful patina of mellow gold and rustic hues.

These hats are getting old though. The plastic adjustment things in the back are starting to wear out, and thats the first sign. Time to buy another one and start working it into the rotation. In case you are wondering, the reason I don't wash them is because I don't want them to fade. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. Hmm, dirty hat or faded hat? Faded hat or dirty hat?


I have nothing against faded hats or those who wear them. I just prefer mine vibrantly blue (and brown).

They used to be a little dirtier, but all the rain we've had this winter has taken its toll.

Oh yeah, a mildly funny story about these hats. I was in a large mob trying to squeeze onto the T on my way to a Red Sox game, and I heard some guy behind me say, "Hey, that guys got Trot Nixon's hat." I assumed he was talking about me, and I took it as a compliment. I didn't turn around though, because I was afraid of tripping and getting stampeded.

















(image of trot's hat from The Red Seat)

2 comments:

Rob said...

I didn't realize you had two. Interesting. What happens when one is retired? Do you have to ask the American Legion to put it to rest like a retired American Flag?

gagknee said...

Yep. The one on the left is 2 years newer than the one on the right. You can see how its bluer.

haha. no, i just perform a simple ceremony and store it away.