Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Bikes from Around the World

If you are like me kill yourself, I mean, you probably wish that some of the cars, trucks and motorcycles that they sell in other countries were available here, in the United States. Reading a motorcycle magazine the other day, there was an article about a Europe-only motorcycle by Yamaha. I got annoyed because it looked like a great bike and I would consider buying it.

The first bike I would like to show you, and the one I just mentioned from Yamaha, is the MT-01. It is available in the UK but not in the US. Probably because it's a large displacement single cylinder and they don't think Americans would like that. Maybe cynicism is getting the best of me and they will eventually release it here.




Yamaha also makes a naked version of the FZ6 available in the UK. I'd be all over that and honestly can't think of any reason why it isn't available stateside. Naked bikes are pretty popular these days.






Also from Yamaha in Japan, the SR400 and XJR400R. I would love something like this. Price it at around 4 or 5 grand and you have a winner in my book. Americans don't seem to go for anything less than a 600 anymore which is too bad. These things will go over a hundred miles an hour. That's enough for me. The SR400 looks like the old XS series straight out of 1978 and its interesting to note that the XJR has dual rear shocks which is uncommon on anything but cruisers nowadays.

Suzuki only has one model of note available in other countries, the GSR600. As you can see in the picture it is an absolute stunning piece of machinery. They also make a 400cc version in Japan. I'd buy that too. I guess that makes two models. I stand corrected.






Honda makes the CBF500 which can be had in the UK. Again, set the price at 5 grand (actually it's a Honda so they would charge 6 grand) and ship it over here. I'd buy one and I can't be the only one or maybe I can. Who knows. You might think it looks like the 599 but you are wrong, the Hornet is Britain's 599.




Honda of Japan makes many models not available anywhere else. Take a look at this selection:

CB400
CB750
Hornet 250 which is a 599 with half the motor
VTR 250
And the little bike with the big name the Ape 100

Kawasaki doesn't appear to make any models that aren't available in the U.S. I don't know if this is because they have no imagination or they have a tremendous commitment to providing their consumers with all of the available cutting edge technology. Probably neither. They just don't make as many models as the other companies.

They do make a couple of retro Triumph copies, the W650 and W400, but technically those don't count because the W650 was actually available in the U.S. for a few years. They are pretty cool, but for my money I would just go buy a Triumph Bonneville instead.

4 comments:

skape7 said...

That GSR600 looks totally hot.

gagknee said...

I know...It's my favorite.

and lucky for you its available in Australia. So go buy one and rub it in.

skape7 said...

HAHAHA.

I can see the look on his face right now.

gagknee said...

hahaha.

I think the word to describe it would be "Priceless"