Monday, June 26, 2006

Not Ginger Grant or Ginger Rogers

Have you ever asked yourself what the difference between Ginger Beer and Ginger Ale is? I have. In fact, Saturday I became obsessed with knowing the difference. After the completion of the Red Sox game, I raided my piggy bank and raised enough funds to buy two Ginger Beers and one Golden Ginger Ale, the 2nd Ginger Beer for the longsuffering missus. After purchasing my soda, the temptation to open a bottle before getting home was strong, but resist I did.

There is a difference between Ginger Beer and Ginger Ale. It may be too subtle for some people, but let me state the difference as simply as possible: Ginger Ale does not suck, Ginger Beer does suck.

The first sip of Ginger Beer was crisp and refreshing. Mmmm. Two seconds later, though, all hell broke loose in my throat. The stuff buuurned. It was spicy and hot and tasted like a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. About halfway through the bottle my lips started to tingle and go numb. I swished around a mouthful just to be silly and the vapors went straight up my nose like too much hot mustard on my porked fried rice. What is this craziness!? Never again, my friends, never again. Ginger Beer will be firmly placed at the bottom of the rankings list never to be seen again. Oh, and in case you were wondering, my wife didn't like it either but she did manage to drink her whole bottle. I was impressed.

The Golden Ginger Ale was good. Its much more flavorful than your average ginger ale, which I liked a lot. There will definitely be more of these consumed by me in the future.

Squamscot also makes a Pale Dry Ginger Ale. I am saving this for last though because I already know it will be among my favorites. There's also the unfortunate matter of the diet sodas that I will inevitably have to drink. It's a shame to waste a buck nineteen on diet root beer, but I suppose its for science and sacrifices must be made.

10 comments:

Nhmommaof5 said...

I found this soda today at Fiddlehead's in Dover, so we will be trying root beer and cream soda tonight, along with our Meat House steak tips! Big A was quite pleased to hear our dinner plans for the evening.

skape7 said...

Totally off the subject here, but I see Alvin and his pals lucked out.

Brian said...

Screw the diet... that's like messing with the fundamentals of nature... more importantly sugar.

gagknee said...

fiddleheads, eh? i've heard good things about those steak tips too from people at work.

gagknee said...

skape7, ha, you got me. i was going to do the whole alvin simon theodore thing but i totally forgot.

gagknee said...

you may be right, kreblog, i am a little curious though. i might just try out the diet cola, just to see. you know, for science

YouWho said...

Sissy! Ginger beer is supposed to burn a little. Add a some vodka and a lime and you got yourself a Moscow Mule. I got the vodka if you need any.

gagknee said...

Sissy! Them's fightin' words. haha.

I supposed if I had a Ginger Beer knowing it was going to burn and not expecting a refreshing thirst quencher my reaction would have been different.

YouWho said...

That's a good point... I don't know what I was thinking calling the guy in that photo a "sissy." He definitely looks like he'd mess me up with his nunchcuks.

gagknee said...

No no. its okay. you were totally justified in calling me a sissy. I will try one of those moscow mules someday.