Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Stories from the List: Number 9

Number 9

It was late spring. I was 17 (almost 18) and soon to be graduating from high school. Just finishing a baseball game at the Pines on top of the hill in Somersworth, I was angry because our coach, affectionately called The Troll, had not put me in the game. At all.

I sped out of my parking space in my Ford Tempo and headed down Rochester St. at a good pace. Rolling through the stop sign at the intersection of Maple St., I took a left, and proceeded to accelerate, probably hitting 60 mph at the most.

Again I rolled through a stop sign, this time at the intersection of Maple St. and West High St. and continued on Maple. This is where the story gets interesting and where I decided to find out how fast the Tempo could go.

At about the time I passed the first cemetery on that road, I reached the maximum amount of speed that I could go without flipping the car in a corner. Slowing down to legal speeds I had just passed Maplewood school when I saw the blue lights a flashin' in my rear view.

The officer wasted no time. He immediately came right up to my car and told me to get out because I was under arrest. Oops.

So there I was with my hands on the trunk lid and my feet spread getting patted down in full baseball uniform, cleats and all, while a whole procession of people who had been at the game, including the coach, drove by. I was pretty popular at school the next day. Probably not for the best reasons though. I knew how to end a school year with a bang though. The previous year around the same time I had hit a telephone pole.

I would love to get a copy of my mug shot.

Oh, and how fast do you think the cop got me doing on that short stretch of Maple St.? 81. In a 30. So stupid.

He had been behind me since I left the park, so I got hit with 2 stop sign violations, almost going triple the limit, and disobeying a police officer. There might have been a driving to endanger in there too, I don't remember.

My lawyer got the disobeying charge dropped. Basically I ended up paying about $400 in fines and losing my license for 3 months. Not bad considering.

6 comments:

skape7 said...

Holy cow! You don't do things by halves.

YouWho said...

"Dude, there's that weird kid gagknee..."

"Man don't mess with him..."

"I heard he got arrested yesterday for doing like 100 in a 30..."

"No man it was way worse. I heard he rolled through 2 liquor stores or something... "

"Nah man, what it was was The Troll made fun of his cleats and he just went off and beat the crap out of him with the nunchucks he keeps in his trunk..."

"Yeah the cop was patting him down looking for the nunchucks -- my brother saw it -- but he ditched them in the cemetery."

"Dude that kid is crazy, don't mess with him. But we should totally hang with him."

Big A said...

I remember my Mom saw your arrest in the newspaper - The way they wrote it up in the police log was kind of vague, so we wondered if it was a DUI.

gagknee said...

ha, youwho, you came up with that list fast.

mike gagne said...

i wonder if thats what chris pike and christian do when i dont play them in a game.

mike gagne said...

i also wonder how i never heard about this stuff when i was little.

i was probably too busy watching saved by the bell.